As you review these snack ideas, I challenge you (if you don’t do this already), to forecast your meals and snacks this week.
You can find me doing this every Sunday afternoon, and hopefully as a family, having the kids write the meal ideas on their little dry erase board we have in the kitchen. This meal plan does not and should not be a black and white plan, but can have a huge positive impact on your health.
As for snacks, while minimizing/avoiding them can have a number of benefits, including weight loss, better blood sugar control, and lower insulin levels, there are occasions when our meals are greater than 4-6 hours apart and a snack is beneficial.
On busy days, I will grab one of my fat-bombs to carry me over until dinner. They are such a treat and require only a fraction of a dose of insulin. Try them out and let me know what you think. Recipe to Kelly’s Fat Bombs (GF, DF, Paleo).
Additional Snack Ideas:
- 1 cup of shelled edamame, sea salt, and pepper
- 2 cups of popcorn with nutritional yeast (if you are dairy free) or parmesan cheese
- Jilz Crackers and half an avocado. I get the portion-controlled crackers, as they are darn tasty and easy to overeat.
- 1/4 cup of spiced nuts. I love the portion controlled tin from California Almond; they sell it at wholesale and it’s a sure way to enjoy nuts in proportion.
- Seaweed snack and smoked salmon
- Kale chips
- Roasted garbanzo beans
- Mood cheese and raw veggies
- A bowl of leftover roasted vegetables