This past weekend wasn’t only Mother’s Day, but it was also National Apple Pie Day. On this very day, May 13th, I had the pleasure of demonstrating an allergen-friendly recipe on the local Columbus, OH 10TV News.
Allergen Friendly Apple Pie
• 2 Wholly Wholesome 9″ Gluten Free Pie Shell
• 6 medium sized granny smith apples, sliced
• 1/2 cup coconut sugar – or reduce total amount and use maple syrup
• 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
• 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1. Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Peel, core, and slice apples, and place in a Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free Pie Shell. The apples will be piled high but will cook down in the oven. Sprinkle sugar/cinnamon mixture over apples.
2. Spoon coconut oil and place on top of apples. Add second pie shell over apples and crimp pie edges. Poke a hole in top crust to allow air to escape during baking. Place pie on a sheet pan and bake in a preheated oven at 375° for 30 minutes or until top is browned. You will know the pie is done when a paring knife can be easily inserted into the center and the apples are tender.