When building a healthy blood sugar smoothie, it’s important to choose ingredients that are low in sugar, high in fiber, and contain healthy fats and ample protein.
Here is a general formula for building a healthy blood sugar smoothie:
- Liquid base: Start with a low-sugar liquid base such as unsweetened almond milk, coconut water, or water.
- Low-sugar fruits and/or low volume of fruit: Add in low-sugar fruits such as berries, avocados, and green apples. These fruits are high in fiber and contain natural sugars that are released slowly into the bloodstream.
- Leafy greens: Adding leafy greens such as spinach or kale to your smoothie provides important vitamins and minerals, and the fiber helps to slow down the release of sugar into the bloodstream.
- Protein: Adding a source of protein such as protein powder, Greek yogurt, or nut butter can help slow down the digestion of carbohydrates and prevent blood sugar spikes.
- Healthy fats: Adding healthy fats such as chia seeds, flaxseeds, or avocado can help slow down the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream and help you feel full and satisfied.
- Spices: Adding spices such as cinnamon, ginger, or turmeric can help regulate blood sugar levels and add flavor without adding sugar.
Example: Protein Blueberry Green Machine Smoothie
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- If the smoothie is too thick, add a little more almond milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste and adjust sweetness with a natural sweetener such as stevia, if needed.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
This smoothie is high in fiber, healthy fats, and protein, and contains low-sugar fruits and leafy greens to help regulate blood sugar levels. However, be sure to still monitor your blood sugar levels regularly and consult with your healthcare provider about incorporating this smoothie into your diet.
Overall Smoothie Tips:
- Start with a liquid base: Begin by adding a liquid base to your blender, such as water, milk, or (cashew) yogurt. This will help blend the other ingredients and create a smooth texture.
- Choose your liquid wisely: Use water, unsweetened nut milk, coconut water, or coconut milk as your liquid base. Avoid juices or sweetened milk, as they can add extra calories and sugar to your smoothie.
- Experiment with spices and herbs: Adding spices like cinnamon, ginger, or turmeric, and herbs like mint or basil, can add flavor and additional health benefits to your smoothie.
- Don’t overload your smoothie: Try not to overload your smoothie with too many ingredients. Stick to around 3-4 ingredients to avoid overloading your blender and to ensure your smoothie is smooth and creamy.
- Choose your fruits and vegetables: Add in your desired fruits and vegetables. Frozen fruits and veg work well, such as berries, bananas, mango, kale, spinach, artichokes, cauliflower, zucchini, and carrots. Fresh works too, but frozen is budget-friendly, doesn’t spoil and in fact, can be more nutritious.
- Add healthy fats and protein: To make your smoothie more filling and nutritious, add sources of healthy fats and protein. Examples include nut butter, avocado, chia seeds, flaxseeds, or protein powder.
- Sweeten with natural sources: Instead of using refined sugar or artificial sweeteners, sweeten your smoothie with natural sources like dates, spices, fruit, extracts and if needed a sweetnener like monk fruit.
- Use ice to make your smoothie thicker and colder.
- Blend well: Blend your smoothie on high until it is smooth and creamy (~20 seconds). If it’s too thick, add more liquid, and if it’s too thin, add more fruits or vegetables.
- Enjoy in a bowl: Pour your smoothie into a bowl and enjoy immediately. It’s also helpful to add something that has a crunch to the end product, so you actually “chew your smoothie,” helping your brain register the meal better.
By following these tips, you can create delicious and nutritious smoothies that are perfect for any time of day.
Here are some unconventional smoothie ideas to try:
- Green Tea Smoothie: Brew a cup of green tea, let it cool, and blend it with spinach, frozen mango, ginger, and a dash of honey for a refreshing and energizing drink.
- Sweet Potato Smoothie: Cook and mash a sweet potato, blend it with almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and a scoop of protein powder for a creamy and filling smoothie.
- Chocolate Avocado Smoothie: Blend together avocado, almond milk, cocoa powder, a scoop of protein powder, and a dash of honey for a creamy and chocolaty treat.
- Golden Milk Smoothie: Blend together coconut milk, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, black pepper, and a banana for a nourishing and anti-inflammatory drink.
- Beetroot Smoothie: Blend together cooked and peeled beets, Greek yogurt, frozen berries, and a dash of honey for a vibrant and nutritious smoothie.
- Matcha Smoothie: Blend together almond milk, frozen banana, vanilla extract, and matcha powder for a refreshing and antioxidant-rich drink.
- Carrot Cake Smoothie: Blend together cooked and cooled carrots, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, a scoop of protein powder, and a dash of maple syrup for a healthy twist on a classic dessert.
These unconventional smoothie ideas are a fun way to incorporate different flavors and nutrients into your diet. Experiment with different ingredients to find your own favorite combinations!