The Dietary Guidelines suggest we consume an average of 26g of fiber a day. Yet, most of us only get half of that amount. Fiber has many documented health benefits, including helping maintain a healthy weight, lowering blood cholesterol and glucose levels and reducing the risk of certain cancers.
Increase your fiber intake (slowly) by adding in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, seeds and nuts. I’ve included a sample 1 day meal plan below for assistance.
- 1 c cooked oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon of Trader Joe’s natural peanut butter w/ roasted flax seeds
- 1 small apple
- Large dinner salad
- 3 ounces of turkey deli meat
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 small banana
- 1/4 cup of berries
- 1 tablespoon of almond slices
- 4 ounces of grilled chicken breast
- 1/2 cup of pan roasted garbanzo beans with lemon, unrefined sea salt and pepper
- 1 cup cooked broccoli
- Hot cocoa including milk