Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States and February is American Heart Month. Every 25 seconds an American will have a coronary event, and about one every minute will die from one (1). Exercise and nutrition are things we can control to prevent any heart conditions. On that note, I have listed powerful foods (and favorites) that can help us take care of our hearts.
- Milk (low-fat and fat free milk)
- Tuna and low-sodium/low-fat crackers
- Hummus and fresh veggies
- Veggie burgers
- Dark chocolate (that contain flavanols)
- Oatmeal (I love the Trader Joe’s brand that has the flaxseed and soy protein)
- Salmon rolls (sushi)
- Spinach salads
Have a healthy and fit day!
1. Lloyd-Jones D, Adams R, Carnethon M, DeSimone G, Ferguson TB, Flegal K, Ford E, Furie K, Go A, Greenlund K, Haase N, Hailpern S, Ho M, Howard V, Kissela B, Kittner S, Lackland D, Lisabeth L, Marelli A, McDermott M, Meigs J, Mozaffarian D, Nichol G, O’Donnell C, Roger V, Rosamond W, Sacco R, Sorlie P, Stafford R, Steinberger J, Hong Y; American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics–2009 Update. A Report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Circulation. 2008 Dec 15.