When you make soup or have a recipe that calls for broth/stock, do you have a homemade version tucked away in your freezer, or do you always resort to the grocery store carton/can? When skimming a bone broth recipe you will see bones (from chicken, cattle, duck, bison, fish) and any type of vegetable/herbs (celery, carrots, onions, garlic).
Most recently, I have made the change to make and consume bone broth to enrich my health. How?
- Homemade bone broths are richer in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants (especially calcium, magnesium and phosphorous, which are essential for bone health). Most importantly, bone broth is also particularly rich in two very special amino acids: proline and glycine.
- Proline and glycine support our connective tissue and act as glue in our body’s; or contribute to how we stick together. Glycine also has a strong role in digestive health and the nervous system. So when you are feeling ill, chicken soup may not only be a placebo, but traditionally made soup can really nourish and repair you. Proline can also reverse atherosclerosis, aka heart disease. Proline helps relax our vessels and loosen the build-up of cholesterol.
- Homemade bone broths contain bone marrow, cartilage, and gelatin. Have I lost you yet? Don’t go anywhere, because this is worth knowing. All of the above help repair bone health along with our digestive tract. Strong, healthy digestion can make or break our health. A few gastro incidents may seem minor but the food is broken down there, and transferred to our cells, making our health what it is. If your digestion is sensitive, bone broth can be the perfect super food for you.
- Traditional Chinese paradigm touts bone broth nourishes our kidneys, adrenals, teeth, supports our vital essence (chi), and builds blood. Environmental, physical and emotional put all of the above at risk.
Chicken Bone Broth Recipe:
- Carcass from two chickens
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved
- 2 cups of carrots, organic, washed and cut in half
- 8 celery stalks, washed and cut into thirds
- 8 cloves of garlic (whole)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt/Himalayan salt
- 1-gallon cold water (or at least cover the ingredients)
- Place chicken carcasses, vegetables, garlic, and bay leaves into a big stock pot.
- Fill with enough water to just cover the ingredients.
- Cover and bring to a boil on top of the stove, then turn down the heat to keep a simmer for 6 hours, stirring every half hour.
- Let the stock simmer with lid off for the last hour.
- Strain all the ingredients and use as the base for stews, soups or on it’s own.
[…] « Bone Broth Health Perks […]
[…] PaleoInfusedNutrition.com Filed Under: Health Benefits Tagged With: health benefits, recipe Next PostLet Them Eat GrassPrevious PostZilmax: New Growth Promotant For Cattle […]
[…] Broth/Homemade Soups – bone broth has so many health benefits, including assisting and strengthening your immune system, which can be compressed with pregnancy. […]