Powders…what’s their purpose in a healthy real food diet?
Modern foods, even when unrefined and pure, they can be deficient in certain essential nutrients. As well, modern life offers higher expectations and often a full agenda that leads to feeling stressed. When I talk to clients about their health beyond their plates, we discuss how stress depletes our magnesium and B vitamins. While it’s not realistic to out supplement a poor diet, powders and specific supplements are essential to help us live our healthier lives. Here a handful of my favorite powders I incorporate in my life and health coaching.
Thrive Market- Organic Greens & Superfood Blend (8.5 oz. bag, 30 servings)
- Wheatgrass, barley, spinach, alfalfa, and alkalizing greens
- Free of stevia and soy
- Quick and easy way to get more greens into diet as a natural energizer and detox.
- 4 grams of total carbohydrate and 2 grams of protein
- How do I use it? I add it to water or a smoothie if my recipe is lacking some fresh green vegetables. This is a good product to use weekly, but not daily.
Naked Energy-Natural Pre Workout Supplement (8.2 oz., 50 servings)
- Unflavored, non-GMO ingredients (including caffeine)
- 0 grams of sugar and carbohydrates
- USA- made with no added colors, flavors, or artificial sweeteners
- Created to increase athletic performance the clean way
- I find this to be a good swap for a pre-workout morning coffee. I do recommend keeping tabs on how much caffeine one consumes, but pre-workout caffeine can be beneficial for fat-loss and enhanced performance.
- This product is made by Naked Nutrition
Naked BCAAs- Watermelon Branched Chain Amino Acids (1.3 lbs., 50 servings)
- First, let’s dive into what BCAAs really are: “Branched-Chain Amino Acids” (BCAAs) is a group of amino acids that included leucine, isoleucine, and valine, which account for 35% of essential amino acids in muscle proteins
- Structure of these amino acids allows for them to be metabolized directly into muscles to help enhance muscular endurance and athletic performance
- May increase oxygen-carrying capacity to help prevent easy fatigue during workouts
- This product dissolves fast, with no artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors
- I actually like using this product in combination witha . green powder as an afternoon hydration practice and pick-me-up. It can certainly be used with workouts too.
- As well, this product is made by Naked Nutrition
Amazing Grass Beauty Elixir- Greens & Adaptogens (4.2 oz., 20 servings)
- Ingredients include fermented greens such as wheat grass, alfalfa with adaptogenic herbs to assist the body with stress metabolism.
- Plant-based blend of biotin and chaga to increase quality of skin, hair, and nails
- Also includes other natural flavors, organic stevia extract, and coconut
- I used this product religiously when I was writing and preparing to film my “Healthy Cuisine: A Wellness Guide for Diabetes.” course which will be live August of 2018. I simply added it to water or a smoothie daily.
Thrive Market’s Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides (20 oz., approx.51 servings)
- Pasture-raised, non-GMO, 100% pure product
- Improves health of skin, hair, and nails
- Each serving included 10 grams of protein
- Hydrolyzed, unflavored, and dissolves easily in both hot and cold liquids
- We have tubs and tubs of collagen in our house, using it in everything from protein pancakes, coffee, smoothies, fat bombs, applesauce and more. This is a very healthy protein that is convenient to add to many different foods.
BIOHM’s Probiotic Supplement
- Affects good bacteria and good fungi improve total gut balance
- The breakdown of digestive plaque by enzymes (amylase)
- Vegan, non-GMO, and gluten-free
- Free of eggs, soy, dairy, and synthetics
- This is especially good for clients who are sensitive to dairy.