I celebrated 37 years of life when this picture was taken, but more importantly, I am beaming with joy as it was also my diabetes diagnosis anniversary. Twenty-nine years and no complications. Plenty to celebrate, including this nutritious meal.
Warm Harvest Salad
- 4 cups shredded kale (or kale, cabbage, shaved Brussel sprout blend)
- 1 small granny smith apple, diced
- 1/2 cup cannelli beans, drained, rinsed
- 4 ounce goat cheese optional - omit for whole30
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried cranberries shopkarensnaturals.com
- 3 tbsp Balsamic Vinaigrette add more or less, to taste
- 1 ea sweet potato, about 3 cups, diced into cubes use avocado oil and sea salt for baking the potato
- 3 strips uncurred bacon
- Start by preheating your oven to 425F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss together sweet potato with oil, salt, and bake for 35 minutes.
- Cook the bacon
- While baking, prepare the vinaigrette by mixing all ingredients together.
- Add vinaigrette to kale and toss till full coated. Let sit for at least 15 minutes. I use my hands to massage the kale and break down the leaves.
- Layer on apples, white beans, sweet potatoes, goat cheese, bacon, pecans, and cranberries.