I love cooking and my family loves it too. This year, I am in charge on brunch Christmas morning. What do I have up my sleeve? A meal that is savory, protein and nutrient-rich and satisfying. Happy Holidays!
Sun Dried Tomato, Mushroom, Spinach Basil Crustless Quiche
- 12 organic eggs (pasture-raised preferred)
- 2 small cartons of cage free egg whites (I do this to optimize the macro-nutrient ratio of the meal)
- 1 1/2 cup sliced mushroom
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (gluten free)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 bushel of fresh basil
- 1 package of sundried tomatoes
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- coconut oil
Grease a Pyrex 9×13 (size of cake pan) with coconut oil. I do this by using a sandwich bag as a “glove” and scooping the oil out of the jar.
Preheat oven at 375F.
Layer the sliced mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes and basil in the pan.
In a bowl whisk the eggs, egg whites, baking soda, salt and pepper and vegetable stock.
Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until there is no liquid in the center. I usually test the “doneness” by poking a toothpick in the middle.
*If you want the quiche to be more moist, I recommend adding 1/4-1/2 cup of organic heavy cream and/or some shredded cheese.
Bacon – US Wellness Meats has awesome sugar free bacon. If you can’t get their bacon in time, I recommend pasture-raised pork bacon and/or bacon that is sulfite free and organic.
Gluten free Oatmeal – A side of oatmeal helps round out this meal, especially to those who are not used to eating a more strict paleo diet. Gluten free oats are less inflammatory than those cross-contaminated with wheat, and I prefer to boil the oats for a creamier texture. Mix in warm spices and a little sea salt.
- Coffee with cinnamon (my blood sugar loves this; I add about 1/2-1 tsp of cinnamon to each cup)
Happy New Year. I do not know about you, but I have been feeling a little fluffy since the holidays. I did not go too far off the paleo diet but I certainly had too many bites of food on too many occasions. That is okay because I am back on the horse and motivated to eat right and feel good.
I woke up around 7:30AM and told myself, “You are not getting out of bed,” and slept another good hour or so.
2 free range, omega 3 eggs
11:30AM – Prahran Market
Sampled some preservative free sausages (oh they are so good)
Had an organic long black
Samples some spicy and garlic olives
A fresh date
bike ride to the coast (9 miles total), a few plyorometric drills
I threw some almonds in a food processor with some macadamia nut oil and himilayian sea salt
30 min run through the local park
Grilled seafood salad (prawns, calamari, white fish and greens)
1 oz of leftover beef
Salsa and homemade guacamole
If you fall within the average American, there is a good chance that the holiday parties are not favoring your waistline. However, do not fret. Come the night before Christmas, reward yourself or your partner something for fitness..
Fitness Gift Ideas:
- Running Watch
- Garmin watch – tracks distance, elevation, calories burned and heart rate
- Books – on running, yoga, Paleo, the list goes on…
- Water bottle – I like the ones with a straw. It makes me drink more water throughout the day.
- Workout clothse – feeling good in the outfit you are sweating can make you want to push harder and last longer.
- Sunglasses – polarized on both sides, protecting your eyes from the sun and water reflection
- Tent – who said camping is for kids??
- Yoga mat
- Bosu ball
Food Gift Ideas:
- Tea pot
- Fruit deliveries – delivered monthly to your door step
- Food processor to make your own nutbutter, baby food, almond milk…
- Fair trade coffee
- Vouchers to awesome and wholesome food places, i.e. Chipotle, Mad Mex, Trader Joes, etc
Misc. Health Gift Ideas:
- Bio-dynamic grocery bags
- Fitness calendar
- Gym membership
- Running socks
- iPhone apps to rev you up for workouts and health goals
- Body lotions made of natural, glutenfree ingredients
- Gym bag
- Exercise package or running bib
- Cooking classes
And the list goes on. What is your favorite health gift/reward?
Cheers to you and good health!