(HealthDay News) — If you’ve just been diagnosed with diabetes, it may be difficult to separate fact from fiction.
The American Diabetes Association debunks some popular myths about the disease:
– You can’t “catch” diabetes from someone else.
– Dessert isn’t off-limits forever for all diabetics. While eating too many sugary foods is a bad idea, you can have an occasional dessert, especially if you exercise and otherwise eat healthy.
– Eating too much sugar can’t “cause” diabetes. The disease stems from genetic and lifestyle factors.
– Carbohydrates and starches (bread, potatoes, pasta) aren’t off-limits, but healthy portion sizes are important.
– Diabetics aren’t more susceptible to colds and other illnesses.
– Insulin doesn’t cause hardening of the arteries or high blood pressure.
– Fruit, while healthy, can’t be consumed in huge amounts, since it contains carbohydrates.
Have a healthy and fit day!